Realizing a need for cross city competition, City Women’s Golf Association was formed in October of 1951 when ladies from Tucson Country Club, Randolph Golf Course, and El Rio Country Club (private at that time) formed a group that would promote golf and compete together. Ev Kelso was the first President and the first Champion. Two early members were Mary Hines and Dot Straw, both members of the Pima County Sports Hall of Fame.
First known as Tucson City Women’s Golf Association, it is today CWGA – Golf Tracks. As with the name, format and policies have changed to reflect the needs and wants of the members. The format first used was individual match play, then team match play with optional individual stroke play (aka: follow the field) and now individual stroke play using the Stableford scoring system with optional team golf best serves the members. At one time membership numbers, based on very low (18.0!) handicap indexes, were limited and often resulted in a waiting list. A few years ago, that number was raised to the first 160 lowest handicapped golfers who applied. Now, golfers at all levels are accepted for membership, though a maximum handicap index of 29.0 is used for competition.
Change is good!
Making Tracks across the many great Tucson area golf courses!
Questions? contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org